Friday, 17 May 2019
Minecraft 1.14, "Village & Pillage" is born, and it's another doozy: new animals, new crafting blocks, new plants & biomes, new blocks, new sneaking abilities, new gameplay! This brings a change to the NPCs and villages: there were villagers, then the mansion-bound illagers, and now the roaming Pillager patrols! These guys are bad news so you'll want to equip a shield and (the new) crossbow to take them on to defend the villages from raids.
Due to some serious bugs, 87cubed.net will forego upgrades until 1.14.2 is available, which may come within a week - I recommend you also wait. Worlds created now with 1.14 or 1.14.1 may have to be deleted and re-created to eliminate severe behavior & performance problems.
So about those villages, illagers, and pillagers
- Villages: structures are biome-specific, generate with beds, chairs, and sometimes crafting blocks that act as job sites
- Villagers: apparel is biome-specific, they have jobs, collect for meetings, gain experience, and sleep in beds at night
- Job sites: Change a job site block, and you can change the profession of a villager
- Bells: lights up/outlines Pillagers within 32 blocks when struck during raids
- Wandering Traders: appear randomly in the world, have lots of trades, hang out for a couple of in-game days
- Roving patrols of crossbow-equipped pillagers appear, if you kill their captain, you accrue a bad omen status
- If you have bad omen status and walk into a village, a raid begins; the higher the bad omen level, the tougher the enemies
- A raid = waves of Pillagers, Illagers, witches, Evokers & Vindicators, accompanied by Ravager beasts
- If you save a village from a raid, you get steep trade discounts in the Village for a couple of in-game days
- Don't want to deal with raids? Drink milk to cure your Bad Omen status
- Pillagers have their own outposts, they're sorta like villages, but ... not
Bounteous additional animals and plants
- Bamboo: found in (new) bamboo jungle, may appear in jungle or chests, grows very quickly, used for Scaffolding
- Wither rose: generated on a block on which a mob is killed by a wither, inflicts withering if touched
- Sweet berry bushes: commonly occurring, grows edible berries, slows movement, cause damage when moving through them
- Foxes: passive, appear in taiga in small groups, can jump HIGH over fences to kill chickens, can be tamed
- Pandas!: spawn in bamboo forests, eats bamboo, "usually passive" (personalities vary), read their emotions on their faces
- Ravagers: Big, very angry, very tough, and can swim, only appear during raids
- Cats: Now scare off phantoms, stray cats appear in villages, tamed cats will sleep on their owners sleeping in a bed and upon waking will leave a gift
All the new stuff: walls, slabs, stairs, and crafting blocks
- Crossbows! Can be enchanted for quick-loading, multi-shot, piercing, and can shoot fireworks!
- New functional blocks (there are more than these, that are used only by villagers that I'm not listing here)
- Stonecutter: make stone stairs, slabs, and decorative variants, most recipes more efficient than crafting table
- Grindstone: Must use to combine-repair items! Removes non-curse enchantments & returns xp for each enchantment removed
- Loom: lets you apply (new) re-usable patterns to customize banners
- Blast furnace: furnace upgrade, only smelts ores & metal items, 2x faster than furnace
- Smoker: furnace upgrade, only cooks food, 2x faster than furnace
- Cartography Table: Allows cloning, extending, and locking of maps
- Composter: converts crops and plants into bone meal
- Campfires: Like a fireplace without fire spread, cooks food slowly, makes a smoke column
- Lecterns: put a book on it, the open page is persistent and shared between all readers
- Barrels: act like single chest but can be opened with solid block above them
- Lanterns: hang under or stand on a block, they give a bit more light than torches but don't wash away
- Scaffolding: made from bamboo, lets you climb really quickly, entire structure breaks when the bottom block is broken
- Signs: now come in all different wood types, text color can be changed by using any of the 16 dyes
- Slabs and stairs: all stone blocks now have slab and stair variants - yes, even plain stone
- Walls (as in cobblestone fence): except for plain stone, all stone blocks have wall variants
Let us not skip the little things
- To repair like items by combining, you MUST use the grindstone!
- Book and Quills editing now has copy & paste, keyboard & mouse use (like selecting text), line wrapping, etc.
- Sneaking now really reduces your height, to 1.5 blocks, lets you to walk through 1.5-block-tall gaps
- You can now close trap doors over yourself on land, and thereby swim (crawl) through 1-block-high passages
- Leaf blocks that break now may drop sticks
- Updated graphics engine, better performance
These are rich changes, the (non-listed) technical bits of which will require a world reset - again. The good news is modded servers and plugins are keeping close pace, some are already available for 1.14.1! So, I am very hopeful that within two weeks, Stenverden will be ready to re-incarnate, with at least some basic mods.