Wednesday, 14 May 2014
And now, 87cubed.net is running a Minecraft Tekkit server! Everyone that can log in to the "vanilla" Minecraft server is white-listed on the Tekkit server.
Tekkit is Minecraft with a LOT of mods that add all kinds of new blocks, capabilities, items, and even extra dimensions. It's kinda crazy how much is packed in, but also tremendously fun!
The main mods include:
- Applied Energistics: Store your items in a complex network
- Buildcraft: Quarries, pipes and pumps. Create a dream factory!
- Dimensional Doors: Create your very own pocket dimension
- Galacticraft: Travel to the great beyond in your own spaceship!
- MineFactory Reloaded: Automate everything! Farm, ranch, and build crazy conveyor belt networks!
- Modular Powersuits: Build infinitely configurable suits with dozens of special powers
- Mystcraft: Travel to another age
- Thermal Expansion: Dozens of factory improvements: ore processing, energy conduits, and liquiducts.
Tekkit is so packed with features that I can't even begin to scratch the surface in one message, so I won't. You can read up about the various included mods here:
It's important to remember that "Tekkit" is a collection of programs from different authors. Each has its own documentation, or lack thereof, so the various flavors of Minecraft mod collections (like Feed The Beast, Hexxit, Attack of the B-Team, etc.) have built their own wiki docs to supplement the instructions. You must do a fair amount of reading.
How to get it?
- First, be sure you're running Java 7 - if you don't know what you're running, just install the latest version from java.com.
- Go here and get the Technic launcher:
You must configure the launcher!
- Start the launcher and configure it to connect to 87cubed.net:
- Ensure that "Tekkit" is selected on the left side then click the gear icon under the "Tekkit" logo
- Select "Manually select a build"
- In the "Select Build" drop-down box, set it to "1.2.8e - Recommended"
- Click on Save then click on PLAY
- Once Minecraft finishes loading (takes a long time with all the mods) ...
- Click on Multiplayer, then "Add Server"
- Set the Server name to 87cubed Tekkit, or whatever you like
- Set the Server Address to 87cubed.net:25570
- Then click Done
You (should) appear in the spawn area. From this point, you're on your own - there are no "safe" areas.
CAUTION: The Tekkit world is less friendly. There are poisonous pools of sludge and toxic waste, and in the Nether, mining the ores may cause an explosion and will cause nearby zombie pigmen to attack you - en masse.
The Tekkit server is not "Bukkit" so I cannot and will not treat it like Glacier: I can't edit the landscape, set warps, or generally do admin stuff. This means PVP can happen, as well as griefing. I'm ok with pranks, but I don't want to see theft and destruction, because my only recourse is to ban you from the Tekkit server. Anyone that doesn't respect reasonable boundaries (like building stuff inside your neighbor's area) may face a ban as well. If you have to ask how close is too close, move 100 meters away before starting your base.
Last word: DO NOT SET UP NUCLEAR REACTORS WITHIN 100 METERS OF YOUR NEIGHBORS WITHOUT THEIR EXPLICIT PERMISSION! Nobody wants to lose their stuff because the guy next door accidentally let his reactor go critical.
Happy powersuit building!