Wednesday, 5 December 2012
Try and try again - Mojang servers have been very troubled over the last few days, which can make it
difficult or impossible to login to play. If you try to connect (to any Minecraft server) and get
error, disconnected or "Took to long to login" messages, first check http://help.mojang.com
to see if any services are down. Even if all shows green, you may still see problems - over the past few
days I've been unable to login from within my own network! When you get these types of messages,
just remember to try and try again. I've seen up to 8 retries before I could login, so keep trying.
When you are finally able to login, there is now a long overdue in-game Guide to Glacier, in book form.
It lists and explains the available teleport commands, describes features of the town center, community
resources, and lists other villages & their warps, along with the uncommon trade items at each village.
There is more to the book and you can get your copy in the spawn hut; use /spawn to get there (quickly).
Somewhat related, here's a very nifty thing I found: A potion of night vision will give you the ability
to see underwater without all that cumbersome darkness - though there still is a blue "fog". From
above water, you can see the bottom with near-perfect clarity, it's remarkable! If you want to try
this out, here's how to brew a night vision potion:
Make a golden carrot
- Take a gold ingot and place it on a crafting table to get 9 gold nuggets.
- Take carrot and place it in the center of the crafting table, then surround it with gold nuggets - you now have a golden carrot.
Brew awkward potions
- Make three bottles by arranging three blocks of glass on the crafting table in a "v" pattern, like a bucket.
- Fill the bottles by dipping (right-clicking) them in water.
- Put the water bottles on a brewing stand, and put a piece of netherwart in the stand - you now have three awkward potions.
Brew your night vision potions
- Put your awkward potions in the brewing stand, with the golden carrot.
- Once the brewing is completed, put redstone powder on the brewing stand.
When finished, you'll have three night vision potions, each lasts eight minutes. You'll know when this potion is about to wear off: your vision will begin slow strobing, which is slightly unnerving.
Q: How to get a brewing stand?
A: You must get a blaze rod, by destroying Blazes in the Nether, then place it in the middle of a crafting table with three cobblestone in a row underneath.
Q: How to get a carrot?
A: Zombies will very rarely drop them, I got my first carrot and quickly cultivated it into several. You're welcome to harvest carrots from the patch behind my house in town, just please re-plant afterward.
Q: How to get netherwart?
A: From the Nether - there is plenty in the rail station area when you go through the portal in town.
Have fun diving (water or cave) - just don't mistake this potion for being able to BREATHE underwater or actually being in a lit/safe area.